Easy & Tasty Recipe: SEMIYA (VERMICILLIE) KHEER
- 1/2 cup semia roasted and broken (vermicelli)
- 7 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom powder /elakai
- Pinch nutmeg
- About 10-12 saffron strings
- 2 tablespoons sliced or crushed almonds
- 1 tablespoons sliced or crushed pistachios for garnishing
- Use a nonstick or heavy bottom frying pan to make a semiya kheer. Add the semiya and roast them for about two minutes on medium low heat.
- Add the milk and increase the heat to medium high. After milk comes to boil reduce the heat to medium. Let the milk boil for about 30 minutes, until the milk is creamy and reduced to almost half. Stir often to ensure the milk does not burn in the bottom of the pan, and also keep scraping the sides of the frying pan.
- Add the sugar, saffron, cardamom, nutmeg, and almonds. Let the semiya kheer simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- As semiya kheer cools it will become thicker in texture.
- Garnish with pistachios.This can be served chilled or warm.