- About 4 cups cubed potatoes, firmly boiled peeled and cut into bite size
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon green chili finely chopped, adjust to taste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Spice Mix for Chaat Masala
- 1 tablespoon roasted cumin seed powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoons black salt
- 1/8 teaspoon asfotida
- 1/8 teaspoon citric acid
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder (saunth)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- To make spice mix all the spice mix together really well and set aside.
- Heat heavy flat frying pan on medium high heat, add the oil in to warm frying pan. Place the cubed potatoes on the frying pan and sprinkle the salt over the potatoes.
- Stir fry the potatoes; turn them occasionally until all sides are golden brown. This process should take 8-10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and sprinkle ginger,coriander leaves , green chilies, lemon juice and about 1-1/2 tablespoons of spice mix. Mix it well, making sure all the pieces of potatoes are coated.
- Taste one of the potato and add more spice mix if needed according to your taste.
Note: This spice mix known as chaat masala can also be used to spice up any food. It especially tastes good when it is sprinkled over sliced cucumber and tomato or over pakoras. You can make the chaat masala in a larger quantity and keep it ready to go whenever you need it.